July has been yet another milestone for Mumbai 227. The focus for the month of July has been:
a. Making Mumbai 227 relevant in the current socio economic scenario via research, analysis and press statements.
b. Keep the flagship programs active.
Till date we have built successfully on our ‘Save the BMC school’ campaign by launching a successful agitation a Dadar based school. Our ‘Galli Galli Ration ke Adhikaar has successfully been replicated in D ward. The other wards are planning similar activities as well.
Below is an update of the Mumbai 227 network for the month of July:
1. Mumbai 227 supported candidate for MLC Teacher’s constituency, Shri Balasaheb Mhatre secured over 2000 votes. Kudos to our S Ward, H East ward, H West Ward and M East and M West wards who worked hard for the same.
2. Mumbai 227 JanSampark Kendra kits have been announced. These contain detailed contacts of municipal officers, a yearbook, information and supportings of our flagship programs, complaint letter formats, printed RTI forms on the Mumbai 27 letterhead, list of NGOs and contact details, list of experts in various fields and their contact, access to a central helpline for the same, etc., This kit is available at Rs. 1001/- The first lot of these kits have already been sold. Those who wish to order the same please book the kits in advance.
3. What is Mumbai 227? And many other questions and issues were discussed at the July 4th meeting at Khar library. A list of responses to the questions can be viewed here: http://www.mumbai227.co.in/about-us/
4. Mumbai 227 has successfully led the Dadar Sayani road Hindi High school campaign which resulted in the suspension of three BMC officials. Our Press note can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/TLSSB
Our Press Coverage can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/93H5K
This agitation is in line with our ‘Save the BMC Schools’ effort that we have recently undertaken.
5. Within hours of the school bus strike being announced, Mumbai 227 launched its ‘ Make School Bus Strikes Illegal’ campaign which aims to bring school bus services under Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA). We began mobilising opinion by reaching out via email and smses and have received encouraging support. Since the strike has now been called off, we are taking the matter up with school bus associations and the government.
Our Campaign can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/WKKQB
Our Press Coverage can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/itZ4b
6. In line with our objective to enable corruption free governance, Mumbai 227 supported IAC’s demand for a Special Investigation (SIT) Team to probe tainted ministers. Over 50,000 emails and smses were sent in support. The turnout at Azad Maidan was great and the campaign is gaining consistent strength.
Our Press Note can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/m6G0p
7. Mumbai 227 has condemned the construction of the Maharashtra Sadan and termed it as a Systematic Corruption Plan. Mumbai 227 is working towards taking up the issue with the governor to set up an independent body to investigate the scam.
Our Press Note can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/bJEm7
8. The Mumbai 227 discussion board has been launched. All you have to do is register to participate. The object is to have meaningful debates, raise important issues. Our latest topic on the discussion board is:
Whose style of agitation will see a better success rate? Team Anna (Fasting) or Raj Thackeray’s (Fisting)?
Click here to participate: http://goo.gl/UBUU1
Please note that instead of Jumbo Meeting during the rains, we are conducting mobile meetings across Mumbai.
Do connect with us on the below number to hold one in your area.
Team Mumbai 227